Monday, January 28, 2019

Signs of Spring

  I see signs of spring!

Yes, the signs of spring are out there, even though we're currently being threatened with temperatures in the mid to high teens, as well as the possibility of snow, in just the next few days.
To that, I say ...

Fiddlesticks!
 
I guess that the burgeoning beauty  that I came across, in today's rambling around our property, will have to keep my heart and mind focused on the good times yet to come.  
If I can convince my old, cold, aching joints and body to take heed, anyway.

Our new peach trees are beginning to bud out, and so are the many blueberry bushes that we planted 
"top-side" last year... and I just hope they can survive this latest "snow threat".  

And my daffodils that are naturalized all over the hillsides?  I went out to check the biggest area of them today - the hillside just off the lower driveway, and the area closest to the house  - and just look at what I found!




I guess my husband decided that the old, crumbling, full of nails plywood and particle board from replacing the garage roof last year.  would work as a real good  "weed deterrent".
  
This area is usually just jam-packed with decades and decades worth of naturalized daffodils  -  and  all sorts of varieties. too...

 So, I can see that I'm going to have to get out there very shortly, and get that nasty eyesore of a "weed deterrent" removed as soon as possible!
    
I just can't understand his reasoning... can you?

"Weeds are unsightly, dear - so let's just throw down a bunch of nasty old disintegrating  rusty nail filled plywood on that hillside, so we won't have to see the weeds anymore , and we'll ruin the view, in one fell swoop!"

And I also guess that this means that I don't get out of the house or off the property. often enough, either.
Now this is only 20 or so feet from the road that runs past our house, and I'm just now seeing it?
Lawd have mercy on me...
 and I sincerely apologize to any and all of the neighbors who have driven past, wondering "what the heck are those new folks doing??"

I did manage to get some other photos taken of  one of the peach trees and the blueberry bushes starting to bloom, 
(the ones closest to the house anyway , because we planted a bunch of trees last summer and  fall) 
I'm not sure if  it was because it's so danged cold out there,  or maybe because I was so frazzled by seeing that "messy eyesore"...
 but my hands were shaking, as I was trying to focus the camera, and they're probably blurry, or out of focus.

Let's go see,  shall we?

AHA!  They did turn out!

This is one of the 2 peach trees that we planted up top here, last year..





Just look at that tiny little peach tree leaf, trying it's best, to unfurl!
It makes me feel joyful!






And this.... this is one of the 4 or 5 blueberry bushes that we've planted in the front yard...  




   



And look here!....I still have some Daffodils!



  
It may still be bitterly cold out there, but things are starting to wake up all around us...
And they give me hope of warmer days to come!




 “The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size.”
  ~ Gertrude S. Wister ~

2 comments:

Momlady said...

Spring is my favorite time of year. To me it symbolizes new beginnings. I don't see any signs of growth yet and I fear I lopped off too much of the blueberry bushes in the fall so they may not come back. Happily I have some blueberries I picked last year in the freezer. Will be traveling this coming Saturday to warmer climes (Hawaii). Will write more about it later.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

The tips of the spring bulbs are just now peeking through the ground -- way too early; toss-up whether the bitter cold that is supposed to descend on us starting tonight will ruin them. I've got pictures from previous years of crocus in bloom peeking through snow so, I know they can survive that.


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger