Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Beef Bulgogi... nom nom nom!

I have a new love... and for once in my life, everyone in the household is in agreement with me!
Last week at Costco, we managed to hit a day when they had all their little sample wagons out, (for some reason, I usually miss out) and this Beef Bulgogi was one of the featured sample items.
After going back... and back... and back... to ummm... "taste-test" it until I thought I would burst, I kind of felt morally obligated to buy some. And man-'o-man, am I glad I did.
It was soooo delicious, and so simple to prepare, that we ate it several days running.
It was cheap, it was convenient, and it was a hit all the way around - even with the basically "non-meat eating" Lad.

But, since the trip to Costco usually takes us most of a day, (it's about an hours driving time, one way, and then I have to see everything before heading back home) I decided to go looking for a recipe on-line, rather than wait weeks and weeks for my next "fix" of smooth, velvety, and slightly spicy goodness.
I managed to find several wonderful recipes, but this is the one we ALL agreed was our favorite... but I do have to admit that they were all good!

(photo and slightly adjusted recipe from 365 Days of Happiness)

BEEF BULGOGI

1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced
5 tablespoons soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup chopped green onion
a small amount of grated or finely matchsticked carrots (I used about 2T's grated)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2+ tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
small splash of chili sauce, or 1/2+ teaspoon of red pepper flakes

Place the beef in a large Zip Lock bag.
Combine soy sauce, sugar, green onion, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and ground black pepper in a measuring cup or small bowl, adjusting the 'heat" to your personal preference.
Pour over the beef and smoosh it around in the bag to make sure that all the beef is moistened.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat a BBQ using high heat, or use a large skillet - and lightly oil the grate or pan.
Quickly grill/stir-fry the beef until it's slightly charred and cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Voila... you're done!

Simply serve with large lettuce leaves, so you can wrap your own... or wrap with mixed salad greens in mountain bread or tortillas.






5 comments:

farmlady said...

OMG! It's almost 10:00 p.m. and I want to go into the kitchen and cook this.
I will go to the store tomorrow and get the fixin'. I don't have a Costco nearby so thank you for the recipe.

Homestay Mama said...

Gotta try this recipe--it looks like something my international "kids" would love!

Marjie said...

That looks delicious. I need flank steaks now.

Kurichan said...

Katie--I didn't realize you hadn't tried the bulgogi! It is yum, and I think I need to try your version sometime. The flavor reminds me of Japanese sukiyaki, and I usually eat it with rice. You can always tell the days they are sampling the bulgogi, as I can smell it all the way over in my area! :-P

Roslyn said...

Sounds yummy but I will have to try a different meat or buy bison, I donut eat US beef!
How are the relocation plans coming along?


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger