Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Saving Memories



I was standing out on the porch with my coffee this morning, and thinking about how much I'm going to miss my yard when we're moved.  I've spent virtually every morning of the last 3 and a half years out here  - in rain or shine -  and the memories are bittersweet.



Black Calla Lillie's



The growing season is so very short for these treasures, but they're breathtaking, all the same. Hopefully, I can dig them up, and take them with us.

~~~~~~~~


My Crepe Myrtle is just starting to leaf out... Sadly, we will miss out on the flowers this year

~~~~~~~~~~


My beautiful Hollyhocks... these ones, as well as another cluster close to the kitchen window, shoot up 12 feet or more every year and as sturdy as the stalks are, they're always weighed down with flowers.

~~~~~~~~~~



My sweet little guard cat with marble eyes... when the passing vehicle lights hit him, it causes his eyes to glow and  hopefully encourages the drivers to slow down a bit.  Well... actually it doesn't slow one particular 'neighbor' down, which is a one of the reasons we'll be glad to leave here.
~~~~~~~~~
 



The view from my porch. So many dead pines, due to the drought and the bark beetles, and although I've hated watching them die, it will eventually open up the view.
~~~~~~~~~~
 



My young apple tree... this will be it's 2nd year for fruit.  Last year, we had close to 30 apples on this skinny little tree, so I expect far more this year.
~~~~~~~~~




Chives and Lavender
 Even most of my potted plants will be left behind, or given away.
~~~~~~~~~~
 



My young Apricot tree.. she was completely covered in fruit last year, and this year looks to be the same!!
~~~~~~~~~~




Old cut metal bear that we found buried in the garden.  So many treasures, and probably many many more left for the new owners to discover.
~~~~~~~~~~

 


I don't know what this Rose is, but it's simply stunning when it's blooming, and it makes for a lovely frame at my kitchen window! In the foreground is the stalk from the other Hollyhock - well above the roof line.
~~~~~~~~~~


It's going to be hard to leave here, and we'll miss so many of the neighbors, but we're both looking forward to the new adventure in Georgia

4 comments:

Reddirt Woman said...

Oh boy Sass! Can I ever identify with this! The hardest thing about moving is all the babies that I've left behind. The only consolation that I could give myself was that I made others lives more beautiful by the plants I couldn't take with me. Take what plants you can and remember how beautiful you left the land.

Love you. Hugs.

Joolz said...

Yes, I'd be taking those calla lillies with you and when you get there, plant an apple and apricot tree as soon as you can. Or a peach as I believe they are more prominent in Georgia, right?

Momlady said...

I hope your move is not too stressful and that you can bring many of your plants with you. Georgia's climate is good for fruit trees, just ask the squirrels that ate all my peaches and the deer that ate the apples, lol!

Marjie said...

I've just caught up on your past posts. I do hope you enjoy Georgia; it will be so different from California and Australia! It's good to see you sounding happy again, Katie.


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger