Sunday, January 8, 2017

Snow Cream


Well, we got our first really cold temps here in the North Georgia Mountains, and we were blessed with SNOW!

 Lots and lots of it!
(okay, 4-6 inches is a lot when you were only used to getting a minuscule dusting in Northern California)

So what does a presumably sane person do when they're freezing their cute little patootie off because of the approximately 8 degrees Fahrenheit temps?

Why, we make SNOW CREAM of course!

I've made it many, many times, but the dear Husband had never had it before, so I took myself outside, risking frostbite and the potential of having several of my digits freeze plumb off, 
 and I scooped soft powdery snow into a big old metal bowl until I couldn't stand the cold anymore.

(for some reason, I simply can not "do" gloves, and I only resort to shoes when absolutely necessary... which somewhat limits the amount of snow I am actually capable of scooping)




So, once I had the bowl filled, I stuck it in the freezer while I assembled the rest of the ingredients. Or, when it's a mere 8 degrees outside,  you can just leave it sitting outside until you're ready.



So here we go with the recipe:

About 6-8 cups of fresh snow
1+ teaspoon of Vanilla extract
sugar to taste (approximately 1/4 cup more or less)
1 can of evaporated milk

Now, with this recipe, nothing is exactly "exact" and you can play with it as much as you like. 
 Substitute maple syrup / chocolate syrup / or any other favorite flavorings for the vanilla extract if that's what you want to do.  
I like maple syrup, so that's what I went with.
And I like sweetened condensed milk,  so I went with that too.

Which means that the recipe I just shared with y'all above, 
is totally "tweak-able".




Snow Cream is meant to be FUN, so just go with what you have,


 Once everything is ready, just drizzle your "flavoring" over your snow, and stir it in slightly. (I use a big metal spoon as shown above)
Then start adding your condensed milk (or plain or evaporated milk), and keep stirring until everything is completely incorporated.

That's all there is to it. 

After about 5 minutes of stirring everything in, this is what you end up with:


The heaping bowl of snow only made about 2 good sized bowls, but when it's freezing outside, I really don't want to put very much "cold stuff" in me at a time!

Plus, Snow Cream is so ridiculously simple to make,
 that as long as you have access to clean fresh snow,  you can stir up more... any time you want!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi miss Kate! Love the blog posts! Miss you 😚❤❄

Unknown said...

Hi miss Kate! Love the blog posts! Miss you 😚❤❄

Tania said...

I need you to send me some snow Kate, this sounds yum!

Glad to see you do a post on your blog, keep them coming, I would love to see more of where you live now :)

xTania

Reddirt Woman said...

Way to go Sass! Proud of you for blogging. I'll have to try this the next time we have a good snow!

Momlady said...

Yay! You're back! Have missed you and wondered how you were adjusting to North Georgia. Thought about you when daughter and I went on our big adventure to Blairsville a couple of weeks ago. The quilt shop was closed for the week so we decided to go to Alexanders. Wow! Thank goodness for the map app on the phone otherwise we might have ended up in TN. Hope to see more of you.

Marjie said...

I used to do this when my little boys were actually little. Of course, since they're both 6'5"+ these days, everyone laughs when I call them "little boys." Glad you enjoyed your snow.


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger