Sunday, March 3, 2019

I've got a hankerin'...



Old Fashioned Stewed Taters


  
Seriously, is there anything more comforting than Stewed Potatoes?


If you were raised in the South or if you were just raised by a transplanted Southern Mama, you grew up eating stewed potatoes at least a couple of times a month, if not every week. 
 
And since my oldest sister Sue looved her some potatoes for dinner, we had  potatoes in just about any shape or form, for most meals.  I'm not real big on potatoes myself, but this recipe was definitely my favorite way to eat them. After I married, I had to ask my Mama how to make them, because my "then husband" kept asking for stewed taters, but we were always disappointed with the results.  
 
With this recipe, and with my Mama's patient help, I finally perfected her Old Fashioned Stewed Taters.


Ingredients
  • 6-8 large potatoes (peeled and cubed, about 1-inch cubes)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter
Instructions
  1. Peel and cube the potatoes, put in a medium pot and fill with water until it's about 2 inches above potatoes.
  2. Bring to a boil (just cook the potatoes until they're fork tender, but not falling apart.)
  3. After the potatoes are done, keep them in the same water you cooked them in and reduce to a low heat. (or you can pour off most - but not all - of the water like I do, because I usually use added milk for extra richness)
  4. Put the flour and half cup of milk in a measuring cup or bowl and blend with a whisk until the flour is dissolved.
  5. Stirring constantly, but carefully, add the dissolved flour and water into the pot with the potatoes and water. Allow a few minutes to cook on simmer so that it can thicken.
  6. Add more flour if you want it thicker, or a little more water or milk, if you want it thinner.
  7. Add a good chunk of butter, some salt and pepper,  or you can use bacon grease instead of butter, if you like them that way. 
  8. Season to taste, and enjoy!

 

3 comments:

Momlady said...

Have to ask..What kind of tater?

Ladybird World Mother said...

Mmmm. Sounds so good. And I want to ask the same as Momlady... what sort of potatoes?? xx

Tatersmama said...

Momlady and Ladybird World Mother.... I usually just use common white potatoes, but I've been known to use just about any taters I have on hand. Any potato that you would use for baking, works great. :)


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger