Friday, October 22, 2010

Settling in...

Well, my "family options" lad arrived last Monday and we've spent the week 'settling in' and getting used to one another, but I have to tell you.... this is nothing like what I had expected.
He is nothing like what I had expected.

I was told that he had a 'mild intellectual disability' and some physical problems as well... and although the physical issues are pretty noticable, (and easily dealt with) when it comes to the
"intellectual disabilities" side of things, I'm at a complete and utter loss as to what they're talking about.
I'm just baffled.

Okay, he may not be real good at some subjects in school (hey, we all have strengths and weaknesses, don't we?) but as far as I can see, this is a pretty typical 16 year old boy that I'm dealing with.
He's personable, likeable, engaged - and engaging.

Of course, I know that he'll have his moments... but at this point in time, I'm thinking that those moments will be mostly along the lines of a "sometimes surly, sometimes lovable" typical everyday teenager.

I've raised teenagers.
They can be a joy... and then again, there are times when you just want to tear your hair out and scream... and you can understand fully why some species eat their young.
But they're going through a difficult period - the very same period that we all went through on the journey to adulthood ... and let's face it, it ain't always easy - or pretty.

I'm under no delusions here, and I know that the shit poop will more likely than not, eventually hit the fan...
But so far, so good...
You know what I mean?

5 comments:

farmlady said...

Didn't he come to you with an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)in place. Maybe not.... because you are doing respite for his parents, but they should talk to you about it. You should know what to expect. There must be a reason why you were told that he had "intellectual disabilities". It could be that he's "on the honeymoon" right now and the first time you tell him to do something he will show his colors. Hope not. Be careful. A 16 year old with disabilities can be more than a hand full if he gets angry. Just be careful.

Marjie said...

Well, I'm glad it's going well to start. You might just be buying a case of eggs like me before you're done!

And maybe I'll post a picture of Thor's - I mean the family's - food from this shipment!

Bz said...

Yup... what Farmlady said... Honeymoon time... but, hey, if you know that upfront, then (like you said) you won't be surprised when the poop comes.
Just be careful.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting!

It might be like the others say, "on the honeymoon", but it might be that this is just what he´s like.

I´m looking forward to read more!

Have a great day now!
Christer.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Maybe you're all he needed! Sometimes it just takes a different perspective on things to see the light. What you do is so incredibly brave...I'm sure you'll hit some bumps in the road but your sense of humor and love should see you through...


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger