Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm milkin' it...and workin' it

Noooo... Not the cow silly!
This being off work, and feeling that I have a life thing.

I do what I want, when I want... and I do it my way.

If I want to get up, I do.
If I want to lay down, I do that too.
If I want to scrub and clean, I get to do it at my own pace.
If I want to laze around and read trashy novels all day...
Well, you get the gist, right?

So today is going to be "run around and buy a load of crap for the yard" day, because the Old Guy started in mowing the grass yesterday, and while I was kicking back with a glass of iced tea and watching his manly muscles ripple as he pushed that ol' mower to and fro (well, not really ripply muscles, 'cause it's more like his tummy jiggles a bit) I realized that my backyard doesn't look like the average suburban backyard.
Nope, not one whit.
It looks more like the wilds of Borneo.

Now I would like to be able to look you straight in the eye and tell you that that's the look that I was going for all along.
The wild, jungley look.
The whole "nature at her finest", with masses of greenery and a riot of colour everywhere you look...

But that would be a lie.

It's just a mess.

With all the rain we've had lately, the damn weeds have sprouted like nobodies business, and the whole place has gotten absolutely out of control.
I mean, those weeds are thigh-high in places... and the paths are overgrown to the point where you can't even tell that there are paths there anymore.

The roses over the garden arch have now grown and filled in to the point where you would be taking your life in your hands - not to mention risking your eyeballs - if you were to even attempt to walk through it.
And since that's the whole point of the garden arch being there in the first place, it needs some serious work done on it today.
Well, not the risking your eyeballs point... but rather the walking through it, to get to other parts of the yard point.

And why do just that one little bit, when I can get to work on the rest of it as well... and make it somewhat presentable?

But to do that, I need tools.
And stuff.
Unfortunately, I'm a girl, and although I know what I need and want, I don't always know the proper terms for those tools.

The Old Guy gets so frustrated with me when I say that I want a "wacky thing" for doing the roses, or "killing stuff" for the pathways.
But that's why I need to make him aware of what I want... because the guy at the garden supply place doesn't have the Old Guys tolerance.
Or ability to decipher what I'm trying to say.

So, just as soon as I get off of here and get showered and dressed, I'm off to Bunnings to see what I can find.

I'll probably end up with $50 worth of actual tools, and then spend a small fortune on stuff like wind chimes and cement frogs and garden pots and new plants...

But that's just the way I roll, baby.

8 comments:

Robynn's Ravings said...

I know we always say this but we are so alike it freaks me out sometimes. My backyard looks the same way and is desperately calling me to visit and/or care. I do care, just not enough to visit - alone. But I know what I want. I'm giving myself the winter to make it happen by spring. Don't you think that outta buy me several months of not worrying about it?

I wanna see pics when you're done! You'll inspire me while I relax with MY tea and my stretchy pants!

Staci said...

ugh weeds...i cant take them...i feel ya girl!!

Lil Mama said...

I agree with Robynn. Why do today what you can put off till the spring.

Bz said...

You ARE my kind of gal... I love gardening stuff ...and end up coming back with garden figurines and such.
Got any 'before' pics...then down the road an 'after'?
.....
sorry... what am I saying... I know, I know... I've GOT(!) to get that dang colorful iguanas shirt pic done.
Have FUN out in the outback!
:-)

Kurichan said...

You would have had the perfect day for it today...if you managed to actually buy what you needed and got to it! ;-)

So glad to hear you are enjoying your break!!!

gramma2many said...

I was going to say I want pictures, but I see they have already been requested.
It is fun to see those of you who live down under preparing for summer and the awakening of their gardens while we are putting ours to bed. Have to say I am a bit jealous. I really dread winter:(

Marjie said...

I invent names for the things I want, and the guys in my little supply store tolerate me. Heck, I spend enough, they should! They even put it in the truck for me. It's easy to forget that our yard is shitting down and yours is just starting to grow again. And I want to train my roses over a trellis, but my dearly beloved won't let me. He says the burning bush arches are enough, and I wont let HIM trim those!

Reddirt Woman said...

I am so proud of you for 'unplugging' and enjoying doing what YOU want to do and go and joy buying that wacky thing for trimming up your roses and whatever other tools you want... and frogs and yard art and glass balls and whatever strikes you to make you smile when you look at your yard.

I'm finally hooked back up on cable not satellite. Now if I can finish everything else in this move and get rested and caught up with my blogging friends I'll be a happy camper.


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger