Monday, March 29, 2010

Leave a key? No way, José !

We carers had to attend a business meeting last week, mainly to meet our new boss... but they also passed along a few new "rules and regulations" while we were there.

1. We need to keep a mobile phone (cell phone) on us at all times, when we're out.
Which does make sense, but it's something I've always done in any case.

2. We MUST hide a key in the front yard, as well as the back yard... just in case we step outside and one of the little day care darlings locks us out.
Now this one? No way, José!

Did you know that if you hide a key outside, leave a window open, or even forget to turn on your burglar alarm, chances are your insurance will be invalid?
They will NOT honor your claim.

Now, I don't know about you, but if something bad were to happen and I came home to find that I had been burgled and my insurance wouldn't cover me for the loss because I had left a key outside... well, I wouldn't be very happy.
In fact, I wouldn't be happy at all. But at least it's only "stuff".
It's replaceable for the most part... even though it may be heartbreaking.

But what IF....

What if I were asleep in my bed, or in the shower... and some "happy that I left a key outside bad guy" used my very own 'hidden key' to come in and do worse than steal my stuff?
I'm thinkin' rape... or murder?

Who would be liable then?
The office, who insisted I leave a key outside in the first place?
I don't think so.

There was a news report here just last week, about a woman here in Sydney Australia, who woke to find a naked intruder - with a knife - standing by her bed.
And I seriously, seriously doubt that this guy was just running around the neighborhood naked and carrying a knife at 5am... because he was just looking for someone to cook him a steak
Know what I mean?

Read the article HERE.


Nope... thank you very much, but when I'm working, I'll just stick to my "key on a lanyard around my neck"... like I always have.
But NOT the lanyard with my work ID - as well as my full name - on it.
For crying out loud, I might as well carry a neon sign saying :

Lookee here!! Kate's not at home right now, so feel free to go steal her stuff"
Supposedly, we're to wear it any time that we're out in public, because not only is it good "advertising" for the council... but it also encourages the general public to call the office and praise us.

Which makes me feel like one of those big trucks with the sticker on the back..

How am I driving? Call 555-5555

Hey, you can call me crazy, but but as far as I'm concerned, "safety" is something that happens between your ears... not something you hold in your hands.

And I'm gonna stay safe, no matter what they say.


12 comments:

Marjie said...

I guess you could leave a key in your car, but you probably lock that, too. If the key outside invalidates your insurance, then don't leave it outside regardless of any potential for burglary or whatnot. As for wearing your name tag out in the real world, hell no! No one would be studying that anyway so they could call the office and say, "Boy, that Kate, she's a great gal. Did you know she buys Crisco by the case?"

pam said...

I can't believe all the things they ask you to do! Our school system voted on being able to review our cell phones or home computers if we "might" use them communicate with a student!!!

Becky said...

You could mail me a key and in an emergency, just call and I'll send it air mail! Are those people nuts or what? Do they hide keys and wear their IDs out in public? I think not! How many days?

Homestay Mama said...

Kate, you're not crazy at all, but I think your new boss might be!

I had to look up lanyard--which I found out was exactly what I was going to suggest--wear a key on a chain around your neck and tuck it inside your blouse/shirt. Much safer and saner than your boss's scary idea!

Nancy M. said...

That does sound kinda crazy! I don't really blame you for not doing that! Gotta be safe!

Gramma 2 Many said...

No, nope, nyet, absolutely not!!
And I love Marjies humor:)

Karen Deborah said...

You know what is scary here? That people in charge have so little knowledge of critical thinking.

Libby's Library said...

Marjie - the sex shops sell Crisco by the case? Wrapped in plane brown paper, I assume. LMBO...if only that were possible!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I think you are extraordinarily wise! Stick to your convictions...you are right! ~Janine XO

Kathy said...

Hi Katie, I just nominated you for a sunshine award, go to my blog and check it out!

HermitJim said...

I think you have the right idea...and are doing it the right way!

Forget about what the others say, just use your own common sense!

Roslyn said...

The govt. always think they know what is best for us-but often they don't think things through when they pass new laws, & the unintended consequences can be disastrous for "we the people"!
My aunty Al used to bury a key in a bottle in the back yard of her home in Miranda[NSW] & when she developed Alzheimers she would dig up half the yard looking for it- having forgotten she already dug it up & put it in the laundry!


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger