Thursday, January 22, 2009

Be Careful?

I read the post about the American Idol judges over-reacting to a contestants parting comment, over at Little Mountain House... and I'm just flabbergasted!

See, they had a contestant by the name of Mark Mudd on the show, who auditioned with a pretty "iffy" rendition (hey, gotta be honest here) of George Jones "White Lightning". I mean, he wasn't too bad, but he certainly wasn't too good either.

But to back up a bit...
When Mark first walked on, the judges asked if that was a gun on his hip - when it was clearly a (I don't know the correct term here, so excuse me) a "holster" on his belt, for his Skoal or Copenhagen tin.
They were in the South for Pete's sake... and this was the first one they had ever seen? They were even common in California and I've seen 'em in the South, all of my life.

So.... eventually, Mark introduces his song and proceeds to sing it - and instead of the judges simply saying "Thank you Mark, but that's a "no" from us"
they just sort of sat there, stared at him and waffled about. The silence was painful for me to listen to, and I know it must have been agonizing for Mark.

They looked at him... he just stood there looking back at them... just waiting for a definitive response - one way or the other - and when Randy finally (decently)said something along the lines of, "Sorry Mark, good lookin' out Dawg - thanks for coming out baby."
Mark thanked them all and as he was walking off, he said "Take care, and be careful". And that's when the judges (particularly Paula and Simon) started in over-reacting.

They said things like "Was that a threat? You don't say things like "be careful"... "normal people don't say things like "be careful"... and IMO, they carried on like ignorant jerks. But then again, we're talking about Paula and Simon here.

Now, I don't know about you, but I was raised with the phrase "be careful" and it simply means "be careful". It's not a threat and no one I have ever said it too has ever taken it as a threat. Not fellow Americans and certainly not any Australians I've ever said it to... Australians who would have every reason in the world to misunderstand some of my American phrases.
When I've said "take care" or " be careful" no one has ever asked me if I was threatening them.

Now, just taking this at face value, it's sort of understandable that they were unsure of what he was saying. But they were auditioning in Louisville Kentucky, for goodness sakes. They had folks from Kentucky and other parts of the South in and out of there... auditioning all day.
I'm sure they had heard terms and accents that may have been confusing to them all day long and seen other people wearing Skoal holster thingies. I mean, you can't go much of anywhere in the south and still be that insulated.... can you? Or can you? Maybe if you're chauffeured around and your every whim is catered to, you can.
BUT... think about it. If it was a gun or a holster on his hip, don't you think that someone in the production crew, or even security - tight as it is -would have worried about him packin' a gun?

Maybe those 4 judges are used to big city ways and big city phrases... but there is a whole wide world out there, that doesn't think or act like big city people. Not that there's anything wrong with big city phrases or people - because we're all different, But hey, a little tolerance, decency and understanding goes a long way.

Mark was simply using his manners... and normal, every day Southern hospitality. But he was left to look and feel like an idiot - by a couple of ignorant, 'insulated from reality' jerks.
I felt sooo sorry for the guy.

You can see Mark auditioning for American Idol here ... and then I would love to hear your opinions.

Ya'll be careful now.

20 comments:

Angelena said...

Very well said Tatersmama! They really need to loosen up and relax a little.

I tell people to be careful all the time- my hubby, kids, friends etc. It is a term of endearment not a threat for Pete's sake!

Thanks for the link to my blog too!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I agree TatieKatie! I say "be careful" many times a day to hubby! He always says in response "Careful is my middle name"..many times a day!
I am NOT fond of those judges, I think the producers need to find new ones!

Tatersmama said...

Sometimes it just irks me no end that people continue to be so ignorant of others and I'll be darned if I'm going to change my ways, just in case someone takes it as a threat. Sheeeeeeesh!

It's a pity that they let some pretty jerky judges ruin the whole tone of the show... but maybe controversy is what they're really after?

Staci said...

OMG i swear i had the same reaction!! I was soo pissed poor guy!! btw i still just LOVE this design....its my fav...im not trying to be conceded or anything...but damn im good!! LOL

Treehouse Chef said...

Thank you for the update and link to the show last night. I don’t watch American Idol. However, the local radio stations were all over what was said about Mark’s statement and how the judges responded. Everyone from the south knows that Mark was being friendly by saying, be careful. It would be the same as saying, take care of yourself or catch ya later. Also, Mark’s mannerisms when walking off stage were totally nonthreatening. I live up in the knobs of Indiana about 12 minutes from downtown Louisville. I must say that they are playing up to the whole redneck stereotype. I knew several people who auditioned for the show that were extremely talented and did not make the cut. I think they are going for ratings more so than talent. What would Paula Abdul know about being normal anyway? I don’t like watching the show because people make fun of other people and that bothers me. Oh well, that is just me. I know many people who love it. Thanks for sticking up for the guy. I am glad you recognized that he was just being polite.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Oh my goodness TM...I missed all that hullaballoo in the midst of my own. I hope Simon and Paula don't see my Observational Twitter today. They'd probably take THAT the wrong way too and run for cover. For Pete's sake. Let me know if you think mine is "Over the top" and I should stifle myself. I'm going back to bed and it's only 3 in the afternoon. Depression is a dish best served under the covers.

Sherri said...

Oh I so totally agree. I have watched American Idol for years, and I've seen some of the obvious threats towards the judges, and what Mark said was in no way a threat. I live in a small city and I've noticed the difference between city folk and country folk. City folk look at you like your crazy when your polite. I make it a point to say "your welcome" when I hold a door open for somebody weather they say thank you or not and always say "thank you" when somebody holds the door for me. I make it a point to tell people to "have a nice day" or "be careful". Simon and Paula need to pull their heads out of their ass so they can stop and smell the roses.



You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl.

Andrea said...

I stopped following American Idol some time ago....this story is exactly why. Mean comments, drama queen judges, contestants who MUST know they cannot sing lobbying for 2 minutes of fame. I loved the ones that were authentic...who really wanted to sing and were good at it...but they seemed to get overshadowed by all the other stuff (staged for ratings no doubt). Poor Mark...

pcb said...

Not only that, but they should have picked up from his demeanor that it was a friendly parting! My husband's grandfather ALWAYS said 'be particular' when someone was leaving and we still stay that to this day. Wonder what they would have thought of that one?

pam said...

I agree with Treehouse Chef, where does Paula get off telling someone what is normal??

The Wife said...

Maybe Paula's a little skiddish since the stalker girl committed suicide outside her house. But it was ridiculous. There was nothing in his tone that even resembled a threat. Morons!

Patty said...

we say that sort of thing all the time here in Texas. Part of being polite, certainly not a threat !

The Blonde Duck said...

True! Very true!

HorribleLicensePlates said...

I totally say this all the time. People from LA are a lot different than the people around here.

Julieann said...

YeS! My husband paused that part and asked me to watch it--he said the same thing you said. My husband is from the south too and was raised around saying be careful---I felt sorry for that man--maybe he will get his own reality show:))))


Julieann

Julieann said...

P.S. Did you see there is someone from San Clemente on there...LOL.

Tatersmama said...

I guess I'm just naive, because I can't understand why people can't just be kinder and gentler to one another.

~~
I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.
~William Penn

Sooziebelle said...

I have never seen the American version of Idol, but Paula Abdul is not high on my list of most admired (or talented) people. I do not know about the male judge, but I think the whole thing, with treating people like morons, even if they do ask for it sometimes, is wrong.

rubiesrnotpurple said...

Are you threatening me?
Ha, ha, ha, thud! How precious are they! I am sooo over celebrity.
And if these people fall over, they'll be suing someone for not telling them to (all together now) BE CAREFUL!!!

"Take care of you Tatersmama and I shall take care of me, then we can take care of each other."

Janette said...

Be careful is a common phrase in this part of Kansas. They need to relax a bit on the Idol. I am thinking they think way too much of themselves!


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger