Friday, January 2, 2009

Response to " Look What I Found " comments

I was busily typing a response to you girls' comments, when I realized that I was gonna end up with a novel, so decided to move it on over here and make it easier on us - and on the old eyes.
~~~~~~
Sherri and Lib...
You know what? I would move back home in a heartbeat, if it wasn't for my Old Guy. Even IF I could convince him to move (and I really don't think it would take much convincing) Immigration is another matter entirely.

For one thing, I would have to have BIG bucks in the bank (an American bank) and prove to the gov't that I could afford to support him for 2 years. AND he has to stay here until we can get the paperwork dealt with - and I'm earning enough money to support us both.

I just love him too much to leave him on his own. Usually.

Plus, he probably wouldn't pass the psychological test. See, when I told him about your kind offers, he said, "Well, if we lived in the States, it wouldn't cost them as much to send you food". Well HELLO Mr Einstein... if we LIVED in the States, no one would have to ship me anything! DUH! Obviously, the man has attributes, other than brains, or I wouldn't be with him.
I will let you know what they are, when I find out.

Thank You for the offers, girls... and it means a lot to me that you would even offer to do womething so sweet! I'm a bit worried about the postage, but if we could find a cheap way of doing it, I would LOVE to be able to do some swaps with y'all !

Nancy... No, most of those foods on the website aren't popular with Aussies at all. Even finding something as simple as bacon can be a total headache. Their version of bacon is more like Canadian bacon, and it just doesn't have the cured/smoked flavors I'm used to. I miss getting the grease off of (what they term here) "streaky bacon"... but because it just isn't popular with Aussies, it's VERY hard to find - and it makes it stinkin' hard to make country gravy. *sob*

And Crisco ? You probably don't even want to know about Crisco, but I'm going to tell you anyway. Crisco is only available here, in sex shops. Now I don't know about you, but when I'm in the mood to make a pie crust, the last place I want to shop is "Dildo's R Us". Can you just image saying "Hey momma, lets stop in at the sex shop on the way home and get us some fixin's for a crust for some pecan pie tonight." ?
Needless to say, I don't buy Crisco anymore.

And IF you're lucky enough to find Dr. Pepper in the stores (usually Asian markets in the bigger cities), they charge you $2.50 a can and up, and a little 2-pack of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups is almost the same price...
So when I do find them, they're like finding gold and they get hidden in my underwear drawer, so no one will find them and eat them ! My guy can polish off a Reeses PB Cup in about 15 seconds flat - and that's just so wrong - ya gotta savor the flavor... so I keep them hidden !

I do have to admit that Aussie food is all good, but it's just different to what I'm used to. And a girl gets cravings, ya know?

Now before you go thinking that I'm just craving junk food, let me tell you ....I'm not.
I miss Farmer John bacon. Jimmy Dean sausage or pork sausage made by the butcher. I miss proper tortillas and pinto beans. Black eye peas, collards or mustard greens. I miss Vidalia onions. Beefsteak tomatoes. The taste of corn-fed beef. Monterey Jack cheese. I even miss hearing the name "Piggly Wiggly"!

W.O.W. ... Hey, I think you're right on the money there! Maybe the way I'm seeing things has changed ! I dunno. I know that with this New Year, I'm feeling so much more optimistic - it's like I'm seeing things differently or something. Or maybe I'm just seeing things through my friends fresh eyes, eh ? :o)

Up until last year, there was a lovely old Birch tree right next to that purple plum tree - and I think it may have overshadowed the plums a bit. Maybe shade-wise or even just seeing them-wise ? I'm always finding little volunteers popping up all over the yard, so maybe the birds had already gotten to them and dropped the seed before I even knew they were there? I dunno. At least I have plenty of new baby trees starting out!

I lost 6 giant old Birch trees last year ( I have a HUGE backyard, so it's certainly not bare now) due to so many years of drought - and it just broke my heart to lose them. I just had the dead Birches removed in June - which is winter here - so I probably just missed seeing anything else in that area, for one reason or another.

I've even got a Hibiscus that I didn't know that I had, growing against the fence ! Once the Birch tree came out and the undergrowth was cut back... voila ! There she was! Pretty as a picture, but leggy and in need of a good cut-back.

It's going to be a gorgeous day here today, so I think I'll head out and see what else I can find... :o)

14 comments:

Robynn's Ravings said...

OMGOSH! So glad you stopped by Robynn's Ravings because I am thrilled to have found your site and loved it that you knew exactly what and where I was talking about. I so appreciate our mutual friend, Neas, posting about me or I wouldn't have ended up here. My daughter will enjoy you, too and all things Aussie. A dose a reality 'ull do her good! :)

LOVE your background and thanks for busting me up. Can't wait to do some decorating on my site but can't shut up long enough to get-er-done. Wish me luck, I'll be back and I signed up as a follower

Sherri said...

Back in the mid 60's Miguel's dad came up from Mex to work on the rail road with the stipulation that once the job was done he was to return to Mex, unless.. he could find a sponsor then he could stay and send for the rest of the family (which he did) and they were issued their green cards. Why couldn't that be done for Col? Why couldn't he be sponsored? I don't remember Miguel saying anything about a psych test and if there was it must not have been much of a test. I'll ask him more about it in the morning when he get's home from work.

" Obviously, the man has attributes, other than brains, or I wouldn't be with him".

I'm so glad that my ole man isn't the only one who has brain farts...hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Not being able to get REAL bacon would've sent me back to the States before I got myself unpacked! :) No wonder it's hard to get black-eyed peas.... If you're not able to cook them with some bacon grease, what's the point? :)

I'm going to check out the shipping rates. I have an "in" with one of the shipping companies and the discount is great! We might just have to fix you up with a care package after all.

Have a great weekend!

Sherri said...

HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS

2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. shortening (Crisco)
1/2 c. water

Mix well, rest 10 minutes. Knead 5 minutes. Rest 10 minutes. Make into 8 balls, let rest 10 minutes. Pat flat, roll into circles. Place in a medium hot skillet briefly then turn with spatula. Remove from heat. Store in plastic bag. Re-warm before serving.

these are so easy to make even us white chicks can do it, if they have lard over there that can be used instead of going to the sex shop for crisco hahaha

Tatersmama said...

Hey Robynn, I never laughed so hard in my life! And I'm still doin' it hours later. You know when you're right in the middle of something and you remember something funny, start to laugh and ice tea squirts out your nose?
No? Me neither.
*snort*

Sherri, I dunno about the psycho test going to the US, but I had to go through one to stay here. They examined my head, my body, my armpits for fleas and just about anything else they could think of. Then again, knowing what I was giving up - maybe there was a reason for it, eh? I can just see it:
" Psychotic Bacon-deprived American woman goes on the rampage News at 11.

Either I would have to sponsor Col - which would mean I would have to have a big bucks job in the US, or some sweet, kind, family member would have to do it. I know my way around your town anyway, so can we come live with you ??
;-)

tatertales,
Darlin', if anyone had told me that bacon wasn't bacon, I doubt that I would have gotten on that plane in the first place! I had to use the fat off my ham to do the black eye peas, and it wasn't too bad... but it sure wasn't easy either!
It tasted good though! MMmmmmm...

Tatersmama said...

Hey Sherri... THANKS ! Have you ever made them yourself? Josh's friend Juan's mama makes them by hand... and he says her hands just fly!
I'll definitely give these a go tommorrow - if I can find some lard!!

Sherri said...

yep I make them quite often, just mix the flour and the sex cream (shortening)like you would a pie crush then add the rest of the ingredients. Sometimes I don't use the full 1/2 cup of water

The Wife said...

Dear, I must send you Dublin Dr. Peppers (made with real pure cane sugar!) and Reese's Peanut Butter cups. Truly, a woman can not be without her treats! Please allow me to do this. Email me! I won't take no for an answer!

Nancy M. said...

I cannot believe what you said about Crisco! That is just so wrong. I don't even wanna know why it would be in that kind of shop!

I can't believe Reeses Cups cost that much. I guess I would have to get used to different treats over there.

I'll think about you next time I'm at the Piggly Wiggly, lol!

Kathy said...

This is too funny. Maybe we can all send you a care package of Crisco, bacon, Dr Pepper, and Reese's peanut butter cups. It would be like Christmas all over again. :0

Kathy

Sherri said...

I know Nancy I'll never be able to pass by the Crisco and see it the same way ever again...hahaha

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Ok Lady...since everyone's sending you care packages..Go ahead and send Sam back to me!! You'll be too busy eatin' to be needin him!

Hey, I've made homemade tortillas and they beat anything you buy in the store..and so easy!
Now what did you find "new" outside today?

Tatersmama said...

I managed to find some plain lard at the grocery store today, so if I have a quiet day tomorrow, tortillas may be on the menu!

What gets me about the Crisco, is... It's so darned expensive, so why would they spend big $$'s to import it and buy it, when something local would do the trick anyway?
I guess those people that buy it from the sex shops are loyal to their brands, eh? Kinds makes me laugh. But then it kinda makes me go ewwwwwww, too!

What did I find today? I found GRAPES ! Not in my yard, but they're spilling over the fence (for about 10 feet) from the neighbors yard next door. I figure it they're on MY side, that makes them mine... right?

The W.O.W. factor! said...

LOL! If they taste good...claim them and eat them!! I would!
Did you get to make tortillas?


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger