Friday, January 2, 2009

Look what I found !

I've been living in this house for a little over 4 years now, (4 years and 4 months) and just look at what I discovered yesterday ! I knew the trees were there, but I didn't have a clue as to what kind of trees they were... other than scraggly ones. I kind of suspected that the purplish one to the right was some sort of ornamental plum, but I was never quite sure.

Then, when I went down the back yesterday afternoon, I saw something reddish glinting against the tin shed next door, investigated.... and I found cherry plums !
Fat, sweet, juicy cherry plums!!! They taste just beautiful!






I think that maybe because we got some good late rains this year, it may have kicked 'em into gear a bit... but I don't know. Maybe because it's been so darned dry since I moved in, they just haven't had enough moisture to produce fruit ? Or maybe they're just tempermental?
Does anyone know?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our New Years Dinner.



And just look what we had for our New Years dinner last night !
Cornbread, Hoppin' John, Black-eyed pea and Collard greens, :o)
We had ham with it,but I forgot to put it on my plate before taking the pic and my guy
had already half eaten his... and his plate just looked too nasty to take a photo of.

I had to pay an arm and a leg for the can of black-eyed peas...
see?
Bush's black-eye peas 15.8 oz (448g) $3.99

I mean, just look at these prices at USA Foods, and then tell me you don't want to weep !

But ... while I was chatting to Miz K tonight... she did a quick dash to her neighborhood IGA and found bags of black-eye peas (375 gms) for $2. - and they're product of the USA ! WooooooHOOOO!!!
I can't get them here where I live, but you better believe I'm gonna stock up on them pretty little peas, when we head to Melbourne (and Miz K's) for the Neil Young concert at the end of January !
I can just smell them cookin' with a bit of ham hock right now... *slurp*

5 comments:

Sherri said...

OMG!!!! wonder how much it would cost me to send you some groceries. Not only do they want an arm and a leg, but they want your first born too. I know how to solve your american grocerie problem right now! Move back woman!

Libby's Library said...

I'm with Sherri...Make a list. You have plenty of followers. Between us all, we should be able to keep you pretty well stocked...of course the mail moves in both directions...you could send all of us, some Aussie Treats:)

Nancy M. said...

Those plums look huge! Those prices are pretty high. Do people over there not eat these kinds of things?

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hey...maybe, just maybe...there were cherry plums all a long..
You may have discovered them with this being a new year and all and with your new outlook on "life down under!"
Just another wild theory!

pam said...

Lucky you with the fruit tree!! We had the same New Year's dinner, except mine was lots cheaper!


Feedjit

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map


FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed


Thanks for visiting!


Thank you Libby!

Honest Scrap Award

Honest Scrap Award
Powered By Blogger